Monday, September 20, 2010

Some like it hot


Ever feel disappointed that the fresh jalapenos lack bite? I'm not a fan of garlic, but instead use hot peppers as my most basic seasoning, regardless if I'm cooking Indian, Italian or Chinese. So rather than take a chance, I always buy habanero, or Scotch bonnet, peppers whenever they are available. They never disappoint. I sometimes find myself coughing when the pepper hits the hot oil and volatile fumes are released--but it is an easy way to clear the sinuses. It is a good idea to wear gloves when chopping hot peppers. The oils can stay on your hands for some time, and it is very painful if you happen to rub your eyes.

A Perk of Our Evolution: Pleasure in the Pain of Chilies is an amusing article in the New York Times. Apparently we humans are the only mammals foolish enough to seek out hot chilies to eat. Habanero peppers can be found in the mixed hot peppers sold at the Coop.

No comments: