We have two fun reasonably priced cheeses in the big bins this week.
One is a mind-meltingly sharp Provolone Valpadana from the CaBre Coop located mainly in the province of Brescia.
Quesuco de Liebana Ahumado is from Spain. Smoked for 24-36 hours on juniper wood, a tradition dating back to when
the cheese was made in the mountains after the cows finished grazing in
the grassy patches.
Wednesday, January 09, 2013
Howdy all! Look for three cheeses made from the milk of the water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis).
Caciocavallo di Bufala from Quatro Portoni in Bergamo, Italy is stretched-curd and wonderfully milky.
Gran Bu di Bufala, also from Quatro Portoni, is a hard cheese reminiscent of Sicilian Canestrato, but not as salty or intense.
Tuesday, January 08, 2013
This is a report about the results of severe cold in western growing regions. We do have access to some great Florida product, but the western weather puts stress on total national supply and at the very least, drives prices up. We are not often made aware of winter's impact on produce. We take year round access to everything for granted, but to paraphrase, "Winter Happens!"
"Market stronger" = prices higher.
"Pro-rated" = limited amounts per each customer, and not first come, first served.
(Sometimes that may mean as little as a half or one case per week for a really big customer [like us], as it was with celery a couple of weeks ago.)
Core and dynamic items-5 STRAIGHT DAYS OF FROST AND “ICE IN THE FIELDS”. VERY STRONG MARKETS AND LIMITED AVAILABILITY ON MOST ITEMS. HERE WE GO:
- KALES- Market STRONGER. Lacinato limited and stronger. Red Kale- pro-rating to N/A.
- BROCCOLI- Market MUCH STRONGER AND VERY LIMITED will see pro-rates. Target wrapped broc pro-rating heavy. Broc crowns N/A today. Cold temps slowing growth.
- CELERY- Market STRONG AND LIMITED but should see orders filled. Handfuls only of sleeved product at EBF. Celery hearts limited.
- ROMAINE HEARTS- Market MUCH STRONGER and may see pro-rates. As romaine goes very limited to n/a, hearts follow.
- ROMAINE- Market MUCH STRONGER AND VERY LIMITED and will see pro-rates
- LEAF LETTUCE- Market MUCH STRONGER AND VERY LIMITED . Red leaf very limited.
- FLOWER- Market STRONGER. Limited MM product at Nunes.
***QC Team – PLEASE CONSIDER THE MARKET ON ABOVE ITEMS BEFORE FLAGGING. YOU WILL SEE epidermal peel, blister on leaf and romaine, discoloration on flower. Expect this from all shippers.
- Pro-rated items (in addition to above items)-:
RED RADISH- LIKELY N/A
RED KALE- HEAVY PRO-RATES TO N/A
MUSTARD GREENS- CAL O?
ICED GREEN ONIONS- VERY LIMITED TO N/A, DEPENDING ON PRODUCT CROSSING MEX
SPINACH- VERY LIMITED TO N/A, CAL-O/LAKESIDE ONLY
GOLD BEETS- BUNCHED
FRISEE- CAL-O ONLY
ENDIVE- CAL-O ONLY
LEEKS- BUNCHED AND BAGGED
ICEBERG- WILL BE N/A SOON IF THE COLD CONTINUES
- N/A ITEMS- STILL READING? HOPE SO!
ORANGE FLOWER- GAPPING
PURPLE FLOWER- N/A REMOVED FROM ORDERS
PURPLE KOHLRABI- N/A REMOVED FROM ORDERS
WINTER IS HERE AND OUR WEST COAST GROWING REGIONS ARE EXPERIENCING CONSISTENTLY COLD TEMPS. EXPECT THESE KIND OF MARKETS TO CONTINUE UNTIL OVERNIGHT TEMPS GET HIGHER AND/OR DAYS GET LONGER. 5 DAY OUTLOOK FROM BRAWLEY, CALIFORNIA CALLS FOR NIGHTTIME TEMPS TO DIP DOWN TO 30 DEGREES AGAIN THIS WEEK....