Friday, January 16, 2009

Brooklyn Black Ops at the Coop!

It feels strange to announce something so covert and shrouded in mystery but, there you have it. I was afraid that all of the mystery and scarcity of this beer was feeding into it's global hype, creating a beer of mythical and unreal proportions. I was bracing myself to be not entirely impressed.

Having now tasted the Black Ops, I have to say that I'm a fan. It's wonderfully complex and balanced. Having been aged in bourbon barrels it certainly has a bourbony flavor from start to finish but, it also has moments of vanilla, wood, chocolate, coffee, maybe a hint of licorice in there, and a steady alcohol warmth. I guess those are all the things you would expect of an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels but, it all works to a really nice effect and has a very satisfying chocolate malt finishing flavor. This beer is black with a ruby hue and has been fermented in the bottle with champagne yeast, whatever they did, it worked.

There are only a couple cases to be had so get it now and enjoy it later.

Cheers, Anngel

No comments: